----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Funk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: Breaking the build

> My preference would be to:
>
> - Make building.html a overview of links to build the appropriate tomcat
version
> - Move the existing building.html instructions to jakarta-tomcat-5 as
> BUILDING.txt. O wait, its already there ;)
> - Add the "lazy" build script wrapper to jakarta-tomcat-5. Tweaking the
> script to handle the issue of possibly being run while inside the
> jakarta-tomcat-5 repository. (Because in its current form would check out
> another jakarta-tomcat-5 repository)
>
> This way if tomcat 5.2 comes along and has a drastically different build
> process - then http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/building.html would point
> the appropriate CVS branch BUILDING.txt.
>
> OTOH, the above suggestion could be worthless since there is a nightly nag
> done via gump(?) so maybe the answer is to ignore the above and make the
> wrapper script around the gump descriptor.

Gump is a bit different than your script.  Gump builds against the HEAD of
the dependent projects.  Your script builds against the released versions.
Most people that are just interested in Tomcat would want to do it as in the
script, rather than have to wait for e.g. the commons-el group to fix
something to get Tomcat to build.

> At a minimum, it might be a good idea to get rid of building.html and have
it
> link directly to the CVS version (BUILDING.txt) so there are not 2 copies
of
> the same instructions.
>
> (And there is one last option which is to do nothing ;) )
>
> -Tim
>
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
> > Tim Funk wrote:
> >> I would be in favor of adding a link to jakarta-tomcat-site to point
> >> to the viewcvs.cgi version so the script can be easily downloaded
> >> whichout extra user effort.
> >

> > In theory, there was that
> > (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/building.html) which was supposed to
> > be similar.
> >
> > What do you think ?
> >
> > Remy

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the
intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or
distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of this
message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the
Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information, such as
social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification numbers and
passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.