> > Another point is that I compiled using JDK1.5_01 but the tomcat4.1.30 I am
> > using points to jdk1.4.2.
> >
> > On Tomcat5.5 (pointing to jdk1.5) this worked like a charm - I just dropped
> > the war in webapps and the jsp was displayed.
> >
> > Can anybody give me some pointers as to how I can automatically fix this in
> > 4.1.30?

Different versions of JDK should be the problem. I had similar issues
with 1.3 and 1.4. I built Tomcat from source using one jdk and run
Tomcat using another jdk and I got similar errors.
Also post the full stack trace. Perhaps copying tools.jar(of 1.4) to
CATALINA_HOME\common\lib may solve the problem.
--
rgds
Anto Paul