From: Howler D. Wolfe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 15 June 2001 05:15
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Tomcat 3.2.2 Install problems

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for reposting this...but I could really use some help.

  Before I begin, I would just like to say that I am a newbie when it comes
to the Apache webserver, Tomcat, Java, JSP and to some respects Linux.

I am trying to get a good clean grasp as to what I have to have installed
and working in order to use JSP and Servlets.

I am running Mandrake 8.0, Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.19
mod_ssl/2.8.2 OpenSSL/0.9.6 PHP/4.0.4pl1.

I downloaded...

J2SDK1.3.1
Tomcat 3.2.2
Java servlet (was in the same directory where I downloaded Tomcat from, I
assumed I needed it as well.)
JRE (Can't quite get it to run with Mozilla)

It was my understanding that the JavaSDK needed to be installed as well. So
I downloaded it and installed it. I set it up so that all users could
execute Java. I modified my path in /etc/profile so all users have access.
However, when I log in as root, the path to the Java directory is not there.
What have I missed?

Also, I have installed Tomcat 3.2.2 and when I try to start it, it fails
because I try to start it as root and since the Java dir is not in the path
it cannot start. How can I fix this?

Is there a good HOW-TO out there that I somehow missed?

Thanks in advance.

John Brosan
JSP programmer in Training.