Mime Type Overview

Mime types tell browsers how to handle specific extensions. Most Mime
types are set globally on the server. For example, the text/html Mime
type equates to htm, html, and shtml extensions on most servers, and
this tells your browser to interpret all files with those extensions
as HTML files. You can alter or add new Mime types specifically for
your site (note that you can not alter the global Mime type values,
only add to them). Mime types are often used to handle new
technologies as they appear. When WAP technology first appeared
no-one had these extensions set up on their server. With Mime types,
however, you could have set it up yourself and begun serving WAP
pages immediately.

Warning: Make sure you check the list of pre-existing Mime types
before adding new ones. Check with your hosting administrator before
adding a Mime type, as they can easily alter the correct functioning
of your web site.

Note: People often get confused as to the difference between Mime
types and Apache handlers. Basically, Mime types tell your browser
how to handle files, while Apache handlers tell the server how to
handle files.

JkMount /*.jsp ajp13 is an Apache handler not a MIME type. Isn't it.

> Uh, mime-type doesn't have anything to do with a file extension.
If I have
> a tiff image it doesn't matter what the extension is, it's still a
tiff
> file.  Determining mime-type based based on file extensions is a
windows
> stupidism.  Now, I'll admit there are certian conventions, but you
can't
> 100% count on them.
>
> --mikej
> -=-----