My advice? Delete that Apache install using RPM, and install your own from the source package. On a RH 8 server, installing Apache from source takes about 5 minutes and is about as painless as drinking a glass of water.

The RH Apache is a modded Apache install. Anytime I've ever used their Apache I've had problems. I learned to ignore their Apache and install from source.

John