I have the code that you specified working. The problem is that the request.getAttribute("javax.servlet.request.X509Certificate") call is returning null. This leads me to believe that apache is only performing server authentication. But netscape asks me for the password for the key information. If netscape is asking for this information, it must be opening up my key information to send to apache.

You mentioned that I have to configure apache to request the cert. How do I get apache to do this? I thought I would just specify +ExportCertData. Is there anything else ? I have tomcat 4.1.24 running with apache 2.0.44.

thank you for your help.....

Bill Barker wrote:

Well, the basics are simple:
  import java.security.cert.X509Certificate;
  X509Certificate [] certs = (X509Certificate
[])request.getAttribute("javax.servlet.request.X509Certificate");

Now comes the hard part :-).  certs[0] is always the clients certificate.
For the HTTP/1.1 connector (Coyote or otherwise), the remaining elements in
the array are the signers.  For the Ajp13 connector (Coyote or otherwise),
certs.length = 1, and the signers are not available.  Also, if you haven't
separately configured Apache/IIS/iPlanet to request the cert, then certs ==
null.

"Mark W. Webb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I need to get the user certificate that the user's browser sends to the
server in order to set up a mutually authenticated SSL connection.  Will
a non-SSL connector be able to perform this if I run tomcat with apache
2.0.44?

Does anyone have any experience with SSL and tomcat?  I am having a
really hard time with this.  I would appreciate it greatly if someone
could help me out with this.

Thank you.

Mark Webb
Software Engineer