michaelday wrote:
> I understand the new Touch will be able run in standalone mode –
> directly accessing a music library on a USB drive via TinySC, and then
> act as SB Server for other Squeezebox players in the network.  Will the
> SB Server within Touch be able to perform transcoding for the other
> Squeezebox players?  I’ve seen another thread implying that the sbs in
> Touch won’t perform transcoding.  Ouch!  This can be a real limitation!

I have no inside information, but lets get real. The Touch is tiny, and
has a small embedded processor. Its never going to run the complete
SqueezeBoxServer software. Its too slow, has too little memory, etc.

Of course there are limitations, its not a big computer with a couple of
gighertz processor with hundreds if not thousands of megabytes of memory.

I'm not even seeing why you would need transcoding. There is no need for
transcoding for MP3 or flac files (know from personal experience) and
I'm pretty sure that AAC is supported natively by new and even legacy
SqueezeBoxen.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/