I think it is possible to transcode just it may not always be practical
(i.e. the rest of touch functionality may suffer).

A while back, as a test for a Waveinput like functionality using a USB
audio adapter for line-in. I put together a plugin which uses
transcoding routines which would stream PCM from the USB into SBS using
"arecord".  This would be minimal "transcoding" as there is no
processing of audio format just passing PCM from an ALSA input to SBS
for playing.

It didn't work and I didn't do more investigation but I think it was
because transcoding was disabled because of command line option rather
than missing code.

--
bpa