pfarrell;492305 Wrote:
> thomsens wrote:
> >> So they were forced to announce that it would be coming. They did
> not
> >> want to.
>
> > The distinction is unannounced vs. announced.  You don't usually go
> > dark on announced products.  They messed this one up.  If they had
> > pre-announce, it seems to me they should have mitigated the holiday
> > season.  They did not, so that's more than one mistake in my mind.
>
> You are missing the point. A distributor/retailer screwed up and sold
> Touch before it was announced, before Logitech had trained its support
> staff, and way before the software was ready.
>
> The "its coming" was not an announcement, it was just an admission of
> what was known publicly. They could no longer claim it didn't exist
> when
> a user had one and was trying to get help on the support number and
> here
> on these forums.
>
> > Lots of companies pre-announce in order to stall other company's
> sales.
>
> Not many since Osborne killed itself by announced and freezing its own
> sales to the point of bankruptcy.
>
> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

I didn't miss any point.  It really doesn't matter what the catalyst
was...I was pointing out ramifications of their actions since.

Believe what you want, but companies still pre-announce all the time to
stall sales of competitors.  Your example is simply to the point that
you need to manage product transitions properly.  If you don't have a
revenue stream you are trying to protect, you can announce anything you
want whenever you want.  I know this is obvious, but you state the
Osborne case as if it was a blanket example for product announcement
strategy.  While I don't (and never did) believe they were trying to
stall a competitor, I just stated it to point out that I do understand
there are other reasons for these actions that might not be obvious to
the average person.

--
thomsens