STEVESPUR;495220 Wrote:
> I have had a Duet for most of this year and barring last month's server
> problem have had no issues with it at all - a very good experience in
> fact.
> However the 'PC needs to be on' item has constantly nagged at me.
>
> So with the Touch looming, my question is - If I want to deal with the
> PC om question, does the Touch become preferable to a NAS?
>
> I am not particularly interested in the 'Touchability' element of the
> Touch device and will presumably be able to control it via the Duet
> Controller
>
> I am not a super tecchie, so if I went down the NAS path it would have
> to be one with SB already installed.
>
> My music (mainly FLAC) is stored on a separate USB connected drive
> which is connected to the PC.
>
> Much appreciate any views
>
> Thanks

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

The Touch is not really an NAS. The Touch is a Squeezebox Player that
can be a Player, Controller, and TinySC Server all at the same time.

Would you be able to not run a PC anymore? Sure, just by having a Touch
and plugging the USB Drive full of songs into the USB port on the Touch.
One loses the use of 3rd Party Plugins when doing this. One also loses
the WebUI when only running a Touch.

Personally, I have been down the NAS road and don't care for it with
its expense, lack of power/performance (most won't run SoX), especially
when a dedicated PC usually works better for half the cost with 4 times
or more the processing power. And if you don't want to build your own
then have a look at ' Vortexbox Appliance '
(http://vortexbox.org/about/) or their new mini. They can be left on all
year for less then $25 a year.

The Touch is really a Smart Player where the Duet and SB3 are Dumb
Players. I like being able to use the Touch in the SUV and at the cabin
on weekends. All I have to take is the Touch and my USB powered Toshiba
drive and I have tunes for the truck as well as the cabin.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope
2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Second Boom