Thank you, all. The lack of a power switch seems a design fault in all
the Squeezeboxes (though I suppose it also removes a point of failure).
One reason I don't use my current SB3 very often is that the power lead
has usually fallen down the back of the furniture it lives on because
pulling it out is the only way to turn it off - the other is that it
requires my PC to be left on all day.

It sounds as though the Touch helps with the PC not being on, but fails
due to the lack of a power switch! I accept a boot-up time is inevitable
for this sort of device, but it's a big practical trade-off for
something that would replace the kitchen radio/CD player, which has a
boot-up time of about 0.5 seconds.

--
mecouc