results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73380
Question: Using the Touch's embedded SBS...

- I plan to use it as my main server/library
- I plan to use it occasionally, such as when a friend brings around
  a USB drive
- I have no interest it using it at all really

jimbo45;503337 Wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Agreed
>
> I went to my Local Tip and got an old Pentium IV computer FOR NOTHING
>
> I installed a SUSE Linux system on it and attached a SATA disk
> controller card (cost around 16 GBP)  on it.
>
> Connected 2 SATA  X 1TB drives and squeezebox server on it and it now
> sits quietly in a cupboard -- I don't even have a console connected to
> it.
>
> Works a treat -- and even with FLAC encoding you can get a HUGE amount
> of music on 2TB of disk space. -- Haven't used anything like that yet.
>

> For an AUDIO SERVER any old crappy computer will do -- there are plenty
> of places to get one for NOTHING from.
>
> Cheers
> jimbo

Of course the PentiumIV is fine too, but a little more recent old
computer with an Athlon64 for example that can do speedstep draws only
half the power. My old Pentium IV 2.4GHz with dedicated GPU draws over
100W idle, the little younger Athlon64 2.4GHz with integrated GPU my
brother left me draws almost half the power. I use this machine as my
SBS server now.
Just in the case you can choose between old computers. :-)

--
signor_rossi