DaveWr;517943 Wrote:
> They also have higher resolution masters.

Well, well, well !!!! The plot thickens !!!

I just got off the phone with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Resound
Coordinator.  He said that HDtracks does NOT have access to the higher
resolution masters from his organization.  HDtracks only gets CD's and
SACD's !!!  He is not sure how HDtracks makes their 24/88.2 and 96
downloads but thinks they use the SACD's as their source material for
the encoding but he doesn't know the actual workflow after that.

I pointed out that as far as I am aware, a computer does not have the
technical ability to "rip" an SACD and that a digital out of an SACD
player has built-in copy protection and therefore the only possible way
to create a computer file from an SACD would be through an SACD player's
analog out's into the analog in's of a computer digital interface,
thereby defeating the ability of a pristine digital copy.

He said he will follow-up with HDtracks to get more information as to
how their downloadable files are created.

In addition:

"in controlled blind, level-matched listening tests over stereo
reproduction subjects were not able to differentiate SACD recordings
from their CD-quality converted version"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD#Audible_differences_compared_to_PCM.2FCD

--
mortslim