I wrote HD Tracks asking whether their "hi-res" 24/88 and 24/96 files
are true hi-res or not.

Here is the answer:

"Thank you for your email.  Regarding our high resolution 96/24 and
88.2/24 files (these are indicated with red text either below or above
the album cover art that reads "Audiophile 88khz/24bit" or "Audiophile
96khz/24bit"), they are taken directly from the studio masters (either

digital or analogue tape) or direct from the DSD stream of the SACD.
They are all native high resolution recordings and are not up sampled.

If we find out that any of these albums are not native high resolution,

they are immediately taken off our site."

This obviously doesn't apply to the tracks that aren't labelled "high
resolution". I think this is a pretty good answer. The main point is
that they aren't upsampling low resolution digital sources.

--
firedog

Tranquil PC fanless WHS server running SqueezeCenter; SB Duet through
Empirical Audio Pace Car; TACT 2.2XP; MF X-150 amp, Sonus Faber
Concerto; Mirage MS-12 sub; Dual 506 + Ortofon 20 (occasional use);
sometimes use PC with M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom. Arcam CD82
which I don't use anymore, even though it's a very good player.