results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=76494
Question: March Madness Pool: When do you believe the Touch will be
released?

- April 15-30 2010
- May 1-15 2010
- May 16-31 2010
- Summer of 2010
- Fall of 2010
- Right before Christmas 2010

JJZolx;529267 Wrote:

> Moving into the future it's just going to be very difficult getting a
> $300 audio player onto the shelves of your typical retailer when a half
> dozen other competitors are offering video plus audio streaming devices
> for comparable or less money.  Logitech realizes that.  The SB Booms
> and Radios are a healthy consumer product, even if support costs are
> probably much higher than Logitech is used to.  Anything like the
> Touch, Classic, or Transporter are niche products.  And Logitech isn't
> in the niche business.
Agreed $300 is too much for an audio only device in the mass market
segment. The mass market users care more about features (for example
video) than good audio quality and most of them don't realize the
advantage of the slim device architecture used by the Squeezebox
devices. $300 works in the niche/geek segment where they've been so far
but not in the mass market segment where they probably want to be.

I can't see any problem adding video to a device like the Touch but I
have some problem seeing the usefulness. I can see use cases of video
support on a device with built-in speakers, like the Radio, which
typically is in a room without a TV, but the Touch is typically going
to stand in a room where you have a TV so it really doesn't need video
support on its local display. However, if the Touch had a video output
that could be connected to the TV it would be useful.

I think it's also important to remember that in the video area Logitech
has some catch up to do, they are going to compete with devices that
already exists and they are going to compete with more expensive
devices like the iPad and netbooks. Feels like it's going to be a
pretty large investment before they have something competitive in this
area unless they build something on top of what they already have, for
example a new version of the Radio/Boom with a bigger touch screen that
supports streaming video.

By the way, the Touch has enough CPU power to run low resolution
videos, early in the beta test period some of the third party
developers successfully played youtube on it by installing custom
software.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))