mlsstl;533095 Wrote:
> 1) I plugged my USB drive into the Touch and the scan seems painfully
> slow.
>
> It will play music in the meantime, but I'm still not done after 3
> hours. The drive has just shy of 48,000 songs. A rescan on my server is
> about 45 to 50 minutes.
>
> I'm just trying to find out what to expect.

Yes a full scan of a large drive can take a long time. My tests showed
that a USB HD on the Touch is around 4-6 times slower than an internal
SATA drive is on a full blown PC. Part of that is the USB drive itself
and part is the slower processor.

So the full scan takes a long time. Once its done though things work
quite well, playing music does not use anywhere near full bandwidth of
most USB drives. You might see a slight difference in normal use on a
large library because some external USB drives have considerably slower
access times than those commonly used in desktop PCs. This might make a
difference in some situations.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson