Swimmerbird123;537937 Wrote:
> But isn't the easiest way to set a static IP on the home network simply
> to reserve one on the router?  I thought most routers offer this
> possibility as a standard feature these days - you just configure it to
> assign the device's MAC address to the IP address you want it to have,
> and then when the device connects to the router, the DHCP assigns the
> reserved address - no mess, no fuss.  My Linksys does this anyway. But
> maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Swimmer

This is not static IP it's DHCP with same IP for each client all the
time.

Touch will still run it's DHCP client requesting an IP.
The routers DHCP server will stil reply with a settings for it (even if
they are the same) leases will still expire etc.

It would still take that extra time for DHCP negotiation and some thing
DHCP could still go wrong, in router or Touch/radio/controller.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J and assorted amps SiriuS,
Classe'Primare and Dynadio speakers (including a pair of Contour 4 )
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this