Phil Leigh;539396 Wrote:
> No - I specifically mentioned valve amps as the valves, HT caps (because
> of the 450-600V) and o/p tranny laminations all do "settle down" from
> new...
> All of my guitar amps have done this.
>
> Low voltage transistor and IC gear does not have this issue. On the
> other hand, Class-A tranny amps and valve amps need a period of warm-up
> to let the quiescent current/temperature stabilise.

I HAVE heard caps get worse during "burn in". Specifically VitaminQ
paper in oil high voltage caps will sound pretty good when first
installed, but after 10 hours of running music they sound abysmal,
harsh, grungy, very yucky sound. After another 15 hours or so they
start getting better and by about 30 hours are about where they
started. Between 30 and 50 hours they improve some more and sound
better than they did originally. Every VitaminQ I have ever used goes
through this process. Other brands of paper in oil caps go through
something similar but with a different time table. Some take only 5
hours to sound awful.

Plastic film caps (polypropelyne, polystyrene, polyester) don't have
this wild behavior. I have heard some improve somewhat over time, but
not nearly like the paper in oil.

Transformers also definitely burn in. Something about the magnetic
properties of the core changing while the domains realign themselves
constantly for the first several hours of use. How much and how long it
takes is very dependent on the core material used. Nickel behaves very
differently than steel in this regard, and cobalt yet again quite
different.

There is another completely different effect which is warm up. This
happens every time the device is turned on. Most electronic components
DO change there electrical properties with temperature. Even digital
audio can be affected by this. I have looked into this extensively and
found at least two methods by how temperature changes can effect
digital audio.

First is the resistance of the transistors inside the digital circuits.
Cold FETS have a lower resistance than hot FETS. This causes the
circuits to switch faster which means the switching currents induce
greater voltage drops/bounce on the power traces inside chips and even
in the ground planes on boards. This is not fiction, its actually quite
easy so see. Unless extraordinary measures are taken this noise WILL
affect clock circuits and even analog circuits. Its especially
noticeable in some DAC chips. They sound much better as they warm up. I
did an experiment where I took a cheap DVD player and glued a resistor
to the top of the DAC chip and fed it DC current to warm up the chip. I
also added a thermocouple to the chip to take its temperature. I could
radically change the sound of that DVD player by warming up the DAC
chip. It sounded much better as it got hot. Of course at some point it
stopped working altogether, so it CAN be over done! This might be one
of the reasons I like DAC chips that get fairly warm in operation. BTW
some DAC chips are very sensitive to temperature and others not nearly
as much.

The other method is in oscillators themselves. Many crystal oscillators
actually have lower jitter when they are warm. Crystal ovens are not
JUST for stabilizing the frequency. In my own designs I like to use
oscillators that get fairly warm, the jitter is lower than cool running
ones.

These effects are actually exhibited in the Touch, but since the
temperature doesn't rise by a lot between cold and on for a long time
the difference is not very great.

I've seen DVD players that have powerful DSP chips that get VERY hot
exhibit these effects to a large degree.

I did not notice any burn in effects in the Touch, but I CAN hear warm
up effects, but its not very much.

I suppose I should try the "resistor on the DAC chip" test on the Touch
and see what happens.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson