My Touch worked pretty well out of the box, had a few minor issues but
nothing too problematic. As soon as i had an SD Card inseted i had all
sorts of problems with the connection of my HDD - System Errors ,
unable to connect to USB etc. It would be working ok in the evening,
left in stanby overnight & in the morning would be disconnected with
error messages showing.
After a couple of days i took the SD card out (which was not actually
being accessed by the Touch) & i now have no problems with the
connection of the HDD or swapping libraries etc.
If you have an SD Card inserted, try taking it out & see if things
impprove!
It worked for me.

--
NS1