John,

I did several things tonight over the last 4 hours and I think I am a
happy camper for the time being!

One of the issues I think I had was not fully understanding how the
Touch is setup in the multiple scans, how the menus flow, especially
when going thru My  Music and selecting a different source.

I copied 100GB + to a solid state drive, which is plugged into a
external USB adapter. This is one of those very small 1.5 or 1.8 inch
ssds you see in the more recent notebook computers. The adapter is a
sata to usb device but I have to use a special voltage converter to get
the micro sata drive to power up.

While I was copying I downloaded the latest squeezeserver and ran it on
one of my desktop pcs, once i got connected it worked and played
flawlessly.

I took this offline and rescanned the new SSD drive and it was fairly
fast compared to a spinning 7200 rpm drive.  I did not power it down
like you recommended. I just selected it and voila it worked, the
skipping and restarting did not show up, I searched while it was
playing, did all kinds of menu selections etc. It was solid.

I even hooked up the coax vs the analog outputs to do some comparion
for the audio quality.

I put the system into sleep mode many times and came back online and it
did not loose the USB SSD etc..

When this things works its really very nice!!

I have NO USB external drive noise, and its now fast.

I am now at the point where I can start to enjoy the music and the
other things the Touch provides, like the Pandora and apps
stuff...which to me are a bonus.

Thanks for all the help and I will report back if anything hiccups
etc.

All the best
Alex

--