Based on my experiences with my Touch:
1) It worked out of the box - once connected, it updated firmware,
setup was relatively simple, and it scanned my media library without
issue (USB-HDD).

2) Once I started having issues, if I didn't know about this forum, I
would have been screwed.  Many problems are easily explained, but there
doesn't seem to be a decent FAQ for all the issues that have come up.

3) Library management & tagging is ultra important, and there should be
a definitive - if you want it to search and act like this, tag your
files as follows.  Most of my subsequent issues with my library were
due to the recycle bin on the drive, and inconsistent tagging of files.
Now that I have figured out the way I need to tag, no issues.  And I
erase my entire HDD and copy my "adjusted" library from my PC.

So, I would say that if you expect everything to work without any
problems, you are optimistic.  This is still a bit of a tweakers box,
mostly due to it being able to do so many things for many different
people.

--
crazyj