mlsstl;551118 Wrote:
> What do I think? I think Logitech heavily promoted the player as being
> capable of doing these things and that no great technical knowledge was
> required. The expectation was that a hard drive could be plugged in and
> things would just work. No complicated kabuki ritual required.
>
> It there are limitations to the capabilities of the internal server,
> they should be clearly noted in the company's advertising and user
> documentation. They are not.
>
> I've used a Touch as a traditional Squeezebox player with an external
> server for the past 6 or 7 weeks and think it's great. I've
> experimented with it's internal server and a large hard drive three
> times and never achieved satisfactory results. Note that my computer
> knowledge is above average and I've been a Linux user for close to 15
> years now.
>
> So while the Tiny SBS problems don't directly affect my use of the
> Touch, I can certainly understand the frustration of those who bought
> one, expecting it to work as advertised.

Completely agree. My experience has been very similar. A mains powered
USB drive should just work. Mine does, but the Touch can't handle the
number of tracks with its internal server apparently. Nowhere that I
have seen has given a limit & I'm certainly not close to 100,000 - less
than 20,000 in fact.

Hopefully a software update will resolve the issues. If not, Logitech
have screwed up by under-specifying the hardware. How much would a
little more memory have cost? I'm sure doubling it wouldn't have
impacted seriously on the retail price and it might have worked as
described.

I'm now using the eee PC that was my music player as a server & that
works fine. I was using an NSLU2 (very low hardware spec: 32kB memory)
as the server for that & it would stream 96/24 flawlessly across
wireless to the eee PC. The Touch wouldn't play 96/24 with the SAME USB
drive connected directly without constant buffering. Pathetic!! I bought
the touch in part to drop the number of bits of kit plugged in to play
music and it has failed to deliver.

Everything I read from Logitech pre-purchase suggested the internal
server was feature limited (no big deal for me), not that it was
severely performance limited to the extent of not working with a
moderately sized library on a fast modern drive.

So Logitech, fix the software or re-design!

--
floater