jaynlisa;551617 Wrote:
> Phil,
>
> He didn't say it was a "high-spec portable mp3 player", and you totally
> misquoted him.   He said it didn't function "as well as" a portable mp3
> player, and in terms of handling large amounts of files, I'd have to
> agree!

It wasn't a quote (otherwise I'd have used the quote function of the
forum).

It was a statement by me - the quotation marks are mine.

The point I was making in response is that the Touch is NOT a portable
player, nor is it marketed as one, so comparing it with one seems
wrong. Nor in fact is its primary function to be an MP3 player although
of course it can do that.

The onboard functionality of an iThing is very much lower. Leaving
aside the fact that it is mostly locked to proprietary Apple formats
and software.

They don't sound great either... but that isn't their primary purpose.
Their primary purpose is portability/accessability. The Touch is NOT
portable (in the sense of a "personal stereo"/Walkman-like device).

The Touch handles my 35,000 FLAC files (including 2000 hi-rez files)
fine from a standalone (self-powered) USB drive (I've tried 3 so far),
so there is no inherent generic problem.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio