I'm extremely late to the party, but will agree that hirez does NOT mean
hi-fidelity if the mastering is done poorly. I plunked down change for
HDtracks Frampton Comes Alive and was VERY disappointed at the sound.
Very compressed. I can live with the fact that a spectral analysis
shows no energy at all north of about 18 kHz - a limitation of the
original tape no doubt - but the sound is squashed, all the ambiance of
the venues is gone. In my opinion of course. But, it is like the whole
"I'll buy the vinyl version because it forces engineers to use less
brutal limiting/compression" idea - completely, and demonstrably,
flawed reasoning. Ironically, with all the dynamic range 24/96 offers,
they could easily release stuff with very little compression and you'd
still be able to have a tremendous amount of dynamic range in the
music.

Attached is a waveform of the first song of the album, three
masterings: Top is HDTracks 24/96, middle is MFSL, bottom is 1st
release A&M CD.

Original image is: http://gromit.orf5.com/pics/fcawaveform.png

I won't buy stuff from HDTracks anymore until I have heard from others,
if possible, that the mastering is good. And this one was done by Doug
Sax of all people, who has a history of doing good remastering jobs
(think Pink Floyd). Oh well, this discussion is for another forum.

|Filename: fcawaveform.jpg                                          |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10146|

Leigh