jcowling;552761 Wrote:
> Let me turn the question around.  Let's say you have a collection of
> 15,000 FLAC files that cost over $10,000 and takes up about 300 gig
> plus album art.  If you have that much music, you probably have an amp
> that cost say $1,500 speakers that cost $2,500 or more and who knows
> how much in cables and furniture for the system.  You probably also
> have a at least $1,000 worth of computer equipment in your house and
> pay a monthly bill for internet and TV of over $100 per month plus
> maybe $15 dollars a month for Rhapsody.  If you are like me, you also
> have a touch or IPhone with iPeng to run your Squeezeboxes.
>
> Now you like the Squeezebox concept and want to get the killer quality
> from playing those FLAC files through the latest Squeezebox.  Is is
> reasonable to expect a Touch costing $299 to handle those 15,000 FLAC
> files through a USB powered hard drive with TinySC?  That's like saying
> that my IPod should cost $300, be wireless, be open source, hold 300 gig
> of lossless files, play internet radio and many music services, have
> many free plug-ins, come with a remote control and have exceptional
> audio quality.
> My point is that you do get a lot for $300 with the Touch.  You may not
> get a music player that can handle 15,000 files without a sever.
>
> I have no agenda or particular objective in mind.  I don't see that
> that matters anyway.  It is just opinion.  (If I have any point of view
> it is that I would not like to see Squeezebox products go away.  They
> offer the opportunity for great sound quality, convenience and
> flexibility that is hard to beat for anywhere near the price.)
>
> Fairness is not particularly conducive to quantification.  Is it fair
> that someone makes $500,000 a year when others are starving?  What
> should the income disparity be in the US?  Should it be the same in
> India? Is it fair that I can't build a gas station next to your house?
> Is it fair that Apple doesn't tell me how large a PDF file I can view on
> an Ipad?  Is it fair that Microsoft failed to tell me that I could not
> edit a complex 300 page book with lots of photographs and charts in
> Publisher?  Is it fair that Logitech doesn't tell you how many music
> files TinySC can handle?  None of these are simple issues that can be
> proven by garnering "facts."
>
> My fairness point is that, I for one, am not upset or surprised that
> the Touch has trouble with some large music collections on at least
> some USB drives.
>
> As far as vilification, there are posts claiming that Logitech
> advertised the Touch as being capable of playing an unlimited number of
> files without the server and essentially accusing Logitech of false
> advertising.  Those claims are not accurate, as others have pointed
> out.
>
> I am not, however, without sympathy for someone who buys a Touch to use
> at the office and plugs in a USB drive only to discovery that his
> [...]

What is unfair is the title of this thread.  It is laughable to suggest
that for someone to post their real life experience with a product is
unfair.  Regardless of the size of the collection, this product does
not work as advertised as far as the USB/TinySC goes.  Plain and
simple. It is rife with issues that many of us continue to experience.
To say that the feature is half-baked would be kind.  I can't even
disconnect the hard drive without having to hard reset the unit to pick
it up again. I have been using ALAC and I still can't it to play an
entire song all the way through, although I just updated the unit to
7.6 on Friday, which I could swear I read around these parts had a fix
for this issue.

Most of us on here don't spend thousands on stereo equipment like you
think we do if we have large music collections.  We are simply looking
for a solution that would prevent us from having to run a server or
second computer constantly or painstakingly figure out how to setup a
Sheevaplug.  While I do consider myself somewhat computer savvy, some
people, including myself, are unable to hack into to software on things
like the Touch or even care to.  Or just deal with issues like this.  We
just want something that works as advertised.  Why even have a feature
if it's not going to work correctly?

--
metalbob