FLAC compression is 0 to 8. 5 seems to be the default "average". All
levels of compression are LOSSLESS, it is just a function of how much
space is saved. And yes, the more compressed, the more work the decoder
does. This said, I've not seen any problems with the 5 level. And even
the 8 level is fine for non-hirez files based on most reports. This
said, I recommend the 5 level. It is a relatively small size file (for
FLAC) and easy to decode for most players.

I'm not sure I would give up the artwork. Just have EAC put the album
cover in the album directory (this would be a single jpg file). I
really doubt the use of artwork is going to be a problem for you. And
you will eventually regret not having the artwork associated with your
albums.

I've always ignored all the USB drive setup info myself as well. But
I'm sure you can find info on your drive when it arrives (either in the
instructions or online).

enjoy!

--
garym