RGibran;564026 Wrote:

> No one is trying to scam anyone. If they feel it's a better product,
> then the public has to make that decision wheter to purchase or not.

Actually, that's not true.  The problem is that the material was
marketed as hi-res (24/88 or 96) that wasn't upsampled. Consumers can't
make an informed decision without the basic info needed for that
decision.

Bruce is just the technician in the pipeline, so I don't know what his
responsibility here is. Was he "doing what he was told"? Or was he ever
told to report on material that wasn't true hi-res, or even to check if
it was hi-res or not?

HD Tracks till this point is apparently claiming that they were unaware
that they were receiving upsampled material. They don't appear to be the
only ones in the industry that were unaware that SACD was routinely made
from upsampled 24/44.1. And the record labels were apparently very happy
to charge premium prices to consumers without revealing the type of
source material the SACD came from.

That's obviously a scam, as they knew that the public would assume the
material was from a superior hi-res source, and they cultivated this
assumption. Note that earlier in the thread the question wasn't "are
SACD's hi-res", but "are they being converted using upsampling or
not?"

HD Tracks willingness to remove this material from their web site seems
to back up their claim to have been duped; however, until they start
giving at least partial credit or refunds for this material (which they
claim they will), there remains a question about their involvement.

Certainly from this point on they have no excuse for such material
appearing on their site, unless they add info to the site that material
may be upsampled from 24/44.1.

--
firedog

Tranquil PC fanless WHS server running SqueezeServer; SB Touch slaved to
Empirical Audio Pace Car; MF X-150 amp, MF V DAC3, Devore Gibbon Super 8
Speakers; Mirage MS-12 sub; Dual 506 + Ortofon 20 (occasional use);
sometimes use PC with M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom in second
room. Arcam CD82 which I don't use anymore, even though it's a very
good player.