garym;572243 Wrote:
> vortexbox is essentially a liunx operating system (see link) that is
> setup for SqueezeboxServer and disc ripping (among other things). One
> can also purchase a vortexbox appliance (a small computer already
> running Vortexbox).
>
> Read all about it here:
>
> http://vortexbox.org/about/
>
> This may not be the answer for you. One has really four basic options.
>
> 1. run mysqueezebox.com (don't need your own computer on, but can't
> play your own music either.
> 2. Run SqueezeboxServer on your regular home computer (desktop, laptop,
> Mac or Windows, etc.). Easy to install SbS and point it to your own
> music. Downside is that you either need to leave it on 24/7, set up
> Wake on Lan, if your computer has this, or turn it on an off when you
> want to use your players.
> 3. Have a dedicated music server that is on 24/7. This could be a
> windows machine, a Mac, a machine running some flavor of linux
> (vortexbox for example is already setup for serving SbS)
> 4. connect USB drive to TOUCH and serve your SB players with "tinySbS"
> inside the Touch.
>
> You can also do a combination of 1 and 2. That is, use mysb.com with
> your computer off for internet radio, pandora, etc., and use SbS with
> computer on, only when you want to listen to your own music.

Thanks garym. I have looked into vortexbox and it looks good. One thing
I am unsure about is whether it can also be used to store other media
such as photos, videos and be used for backup? I am assumning that you
cant use a Windows backup porgram on it? If it cant do back up can it
still be used as a general media server rather than just a squeezebox
one?

--
morthan