I have downgraded the Touch's firmware to r9218 yesterday night. I did a
full rescan of my USB disk again and everything is back to normal. All
849 covers are showing perfectly both in album list and while playing.

So I definitely think there's a bug in the r9283 scanning
functionality!

MDDLMN : To downgrade firmware on the Touch, you must point the remote
to it and hold remote's volume-up key while you shortly press the reset
button on the back of the Touch. Keep the key on the remote pressed
until the "Free your music" appears on the screen. Don't press the
reset button too long, or you will go back to factory defaults and lose
all your personal settings.
(source:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_Last_FW)

--