figured i should toss out a positive review, since the negative nancies
sometimes skew the silent majority...

ive owned the duet for two years, practically to the date.  i stumbled
across a good used touch deal...like-new condition, used for a month,
for about $100 under retail.  yea, im sure i couldve dedicated lots of
effort and bought brand new on ebay for $50 under retail, but this was
an accidental find so i snapped it up.  i have been wanting a touch
since they hit the shelves, so im thrilled.

once i sorted out my own network quirks, the duet was very reliable,
and i love it.  that being said, even with a respectable amount of tech
ability, i would experience ocassional dropouts and frustrating
buffering.  with the upgrade to touch, also went the server (7.4.x? >
7.5.3) and firmware.  i didnt bother to spend time testing a control to
isolate existing issues, but what i know now is the duet still seems to
max out at ~75% wifi strength, while the touch has never shown below
100% signal.  is the touch wifi card that much better than duet
receiver?  to me, that alone makes it worth the price.

a couple of weeks test drive and i love this piece of equipment.  i
read the horror stories on upgrades, which is why i dont do them.  if
it aint broke, dont fix it.  but the entire system upgrade (even for
duet) went smooth as silk.  i experienced a stutter during the very
first playback of a 24/96 flac file, but never one hiccup or dropout
since over the last couple weeks.  even while moving data at 1.5mb/s
(deal breaker for duet) over the network, very impressed.  duet is
still kicking, shes retired to the bedroom feeding a set of budget 313
logitech 2.1 powered speakers.

now the touch is not managing an audiophile setup by any stretch of the
imagination.  even so, id like to maximize what i have to get the most
bang for my buck.  im running it through the receiver of a best buy
home theater, sony bravia 5.1 with dolby and dts decoders.  from what i
gather, squeezebox cant handle multichannel, which seems like a shame.
is anyone familiar enough to know if the sony receiver is even capable
of outputting audio from hi-rez 24/96 digital files?  would also be a
shame if i couldnt fully utilize the touch hardware.  any other
recommendations for more efficiently utilizing what i have to maximum
potential?  swap the rca jacks for digital maybe?  any feedback
appreciated.

in my opinion this is a fantastic piece of gear, and it looks sleek
next to the turntable.  wow, sorry for the long read...

--
fillmore