chill;608197 Wrote:
> Klaus, and anyone else who suspects that network comms are affecting SQ
>
> I think it was Phil who offered a simple test.  Pull the ethernet cable
> out of the back of your Touch while it is playing a track.  By
> definition, all network comms will stop at that moment, but the Touch
> will have around 40s of audio buffered internally (if you're streaming
> FLAC, presumably less if streaming WAV, more if streaming lossy
> compressed data), so you'll hear nothing but unadulterated playback of
> buffered audio.
>
> If pulling out the cable isn't practical for you, just wait until the
> track reaches 40s from the end, at which point the buffer will stop
> filling for about 30s (ie 10s before the start of the next track). I
> guess that if you've only queued a single track, then even that final
> 10s will be free of network traffic too. (NB these are the
> characteristics that I've observed on a Mac - it would be good to get
> similar simple observations from servers on other operating systems)
>
> This is surely a way for Klaus to gather wider feedback, since anybody
> can do this, and he won't be limited to just those people with two
> operating systems running.  I suspect that the same 40s quiet period
> exists in wireless setups too (I'll check later), so the last 40s of a
> track would be a nice place to test the effect of wireless comms.
>
> So come on folks - let's help Klaus out here.  What differences do you
> all notice during these golden 40s periods?

Good luck with that very intelligent cable pull test. My blood pressure
boils up while running back and forth pulling cables to catch the
effective slot of 10s.

I already hear the sharks commenting on non-compliant ABX testing.

Then I don't even know what kind of routines will start up on the OS
side, after pulling the plug. This can't be considered normal
operation.

Good luck to those who gonna give it a try.

And guys. You don't help MEEEE. You help yourself.
I'm not really interested if a QNAP 1234 or a Sheevaplug rev xxxx
performs any different from an Apple Mini.

I got a well working system at home. And I'm able to manage it quite
well.

--
soundcheck

'soundcheck's Touch Toolbox 2.0'