JJZolx;621830 Wrote:
> OK, but do you understand what I was saying above?  Give the car
> components _static_ IP addresses, not addresses assigned by the home
> router. Make sure they're outside of the address range handed out by
> the router.

I think I do.  Rather than let the router hand out the ip based on mac
address, you think it would be better give everything a fixed address
outside the normal range so that nothing else can take it's slot.

> Right, but if you're smart you'll pull the components off of your
> network and hook it up like that for testing, before moving it all into
> the car.

Good idea.

4TB?? That's a lot of MP3s. I haven't done a car PC installation, but
the server doesn't have to sit in the dashboard.

My collection is in flac.  That's why I want to go with the touch.  The
Cd changer is in the trunk.  I was thinking of switching that out for
the server.  If my head unit would play flacs from hard drives, I
wouldn't be thinking about this.  I considered a mobridge product with
an ipod that would let my head unit control the music. However, I don't
think I can get everything to fit on an ipod unless I tried to hack it
to run off a larger hard drvie.  Other thoughts were to buy a used
phatbox and hack it to accept a larger hard drive.

The touch seems ideally suited, except for the challenge of finding a
good place to mount it.

--
jbraveman