aubuti;626116 Wrote:
> 1) You can either run SBS on your laptop, or run the Touch's built-in
> server (aka TinySBS). User results with TinySBS are mixed, whereas
> using your laptop should be straightforward, so I would recommend
> running SBS on your laptop. That means the USB hard drive would be
> connected to your laptop, not to the Touch.
>
> After connecting the USB drive to your laptop, the preferred approach
> is to connect the laptop to your home network router via ethernet.
> Presumably your Touch is already connected to your network via the
> router. If this is wireless that's fine, though ethernet would be
> better if it is feasible in your circumstances.
>
> Best practice is to rip to a lossless format, and for SBs the best
> format is usually FLAC. I recommend dBpoweramp (www.dbpoweramp.com) for
> ripping to FLAC. It's not freeware, but its secure ripping and superior
> metadata handling make it well worth the cost (around $36) in my book.
> It has a 30-day free trial. In my opinion the best freeware FLAC ripper
> out there is EAC. Both dBpoweramp and EAC are Windows programs, although
> they will run on Linux under Wine. If you are using Mac OSX then you
> need to look for other software.
>
> If you haven't done much ripping yet, do a handful of CDs at first and
> make sure that you're getting the ripping and tagging the way you want
> it for you dive in fully to do your whole collection. Some people dive
> right in, only to have to re-do everything later because of a simple
> mistake they made, and then repeated 1000 times.....
>
> 2. Yes, you can easily switch back and forth between internet radio and
> your own ripped library. Note that as long as your laptop is running you
> do not have to switch explicitly from SBS to mysqueezebox.com to get
> internet radio. You can access everything on mysb.com via SBS running
> on your laptop.
>
> 3. For SBS running on your laptop the brand of USB drive doesn't matter
> much. If you want to use TinySBS then the choice and type of USB drive
> matters a LOT. For TinySBS you should use a USB drive that has its own
> power supply, not one that draws power via USB, because too many drives
> exceed the spec on power draw, thus exceeding what power the Touch
> supplies (which is slightly over-spec). Several users have reported
> having better luck with Toshiba USB drives and TinySBS. I believe there
> is a page on the wiki (wiki.silmdevices.com) that summarizes which
> drives work better or worse.
>
> Good luck and enjoy. Having your music library readily available via SB
> is really where you will take maximum advantage of the SB system.

+1 on dbpoweramp (and going slow to figure out how you like your
tagging, etc.) MP3tag is a very useful tagging program that I use in
addition to dbpa. Also agree on FLAC. If you also use ipods, etc., you
can also easily create a mirror library of mp3 files for use on these.
But with FLAC (lossless) you rip once, get your tags and art perfect,
then you're done. You can always create the best sort of lossy files
for other uses from the FLAC archive files (and the FLACs work well
with the SB universe of things).

--
garym