Mnyb;636414 Wrote:
> OGG is also used for streaming and radio, you wont get away from that
> one, but in general there are to many music file formats and thats true
> outside of the squeezebox context too.
> This plethora of formats upps the dev cost all products.
>
> is not spotify using ogg ? in an ideal world it would be FLAC and OGG ,
> mp3 is not a free format but it is everywhere hard to avoid in reality.
>
> why Apple and Microsoft just had to develop thier own formats ? Most
> likely vendor look in and licencing fees.
>
> Example it looks like it is free to use WMA on your pc or if you stream
> from your radio channel.
> But you are paying every time you buy hardware was it 400000$ + some $
> per unit for WMA or WMAL ?
> so it goes on the price for your squeezebox.
>
> better ditch wma and wmal support before ogg imho
You're probably right about OGG - my point was there are too many
formats;
perhaps WAV should go first as support for it is already somewhat
limited (by its very nature).

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.