Phil Leigh;654355 Wrote:
> No - that's wrong. ADM reports NO difference when flac or PCM is used -
> at least that has always been my test result (with both Touch and SB3).
> If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd be interested to see it / try
> and reproduce it.

My procedures were somewhat sloppy - I wasn't trying to be very
methodical, just tinkering.  I don't have the raw data any more, and
I'm not enthusiastic enough to want to go through it all again (not
least because I have to move stuff around the house to do the tests).

However, with SPDIF into my sound card my notes say I got correlations
in the low 90s from a 2 minute piano track compared with the original
rip using PCM and mid 70s with FLAC (all at CD quality).  Maybe my card
didn't like some extra noise or somesuch.  Anyhow, that's what I saw,
'wrong' or otherwise.

Having seen that level of difference with SPDIF I didn't try with the
analogue out.

--
PasTim

Server on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 2 CPU, 2GHz, 4GB, FLAC files. Touch
on Ethernet (in another room).  Analogue out over 'a bit of wire' to
ageing Quad Hi-Fi. An old (wireless) laptop controls the server using
Chrome.