Phil Leigh;654391 Wrote:
> Something was very wrong with your test procedure,or your sound
> card/drivers. Via s/pdif, both FLAC and WAV/PCM always give 100%
> identical (correlation null = -144) comparisons with the original rip
> file.
>
> However, for this to work you do need a sound card that is not being
> (ahem) "managed" by the operating system... e.g. no Windows kernel
> sample rate conversion weirdness...
>
> By the way, this test actually tells you nothing about what happens
> when you connect a DAC to the Touch s/pdif... it simply proves what we
> already know, namely that both wav and flac playback are "bit-perf
> ect" via s/pdif.
>
> Noise from the transport can IN THEORY still interfere with the
> operation of SOME DACs - likewise, jitter and clocking can still be an
> issue for SOME DACs.

I haven't got the time or energy to try again right now, but the
results were consistent over a couple of runs.  I was using an M-audio
24/96, external sync.  The results were not exactly the same as the
original.  Comparing the rip to itself I got a correlation of 300 (as
below - I kept that one for reference)

parameters: 0sec, 0.000dB (L),  0.000dB (R)..Corr Depth: 300.0 dB (L),
300.0 dB (R)

I don't know why I get 300 and you quote 144.  Maybe a different
version of ADM?  Mine is 3.22.

I'm using M-audio's own Windows 7 64 bit drivers.

During the runs it said I didn't need sample rate compensations, so I
didn't.

Something of a mystery then.

I don't have an external DAC (see signature below) but was running with
SPDIF into the sound card since I thought it might tell me something
interesting.

--
PasTim

Server on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 2 CPU, 2GHz, 4GB, FLAC files. Touch
on Ethernet (in another room).  Analogue out over 'a bit of wire' to
ageing Quad Hi-Fi. An old (wireless) laptop controls the server using
Chrome.