Thanks, guys.

We tried everything bar resetting the Touch which I really don't want to
do. It kept asking for an IP address and password which it had.

We'd already decided that fixing the wireless problem may be the answer:
the (Netgear) router is 10 - 12 years old and may be failing. The point
of the exercise was to fix TV HD streaming that worked at the start of
the year but is now unusable due to buffering. Two other devices (inc.
the Touch) also now buffer a lot just streaming radio so fixing wi-fi
seems best first.

So, the powerline gear will almost certainly be returned to Amazon and
I'll buy a new router - but which one?!

(In case you're wondering, silly me didn't consider the need for a
single circuit - PC/router is one side of the house upstairs, TV is
other side downstairs and are on separate circuits - the Touch is on the
same circuit as the router so that was a fallback remedy had it worked.)