I am also glad that I found this interesting thread about
non-working-IR-diode on the Squeezeboxes.
I have 7 of these in my house on various places and a couple of the Duet
and Touch.

After several of years of non-problematic use one of the Squeezeboxes
had stopped reacting on commands from the remote controller.
After reading through this thread I tested the problematic Squeezebox
with my lab power supply that has good current supply at 5 VDC and it
did not help.
I ordered a couple of the Vishay TSOP32238 from a French eBay seller:
'http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172267599071' (Vishay TSOP32238)

Using my desoldering station it was still somewhat a hassle to desolder
to non-working IR-diode from the board. I think that it would have been
easier if I would have first just cut the 3 small legs and then desolder
the 2 bigger case legs.

Anyway, I soldered in the new IR-diode (without the casing) and tested
it with my initial PSU and voilaaaa! Remote control worked without any
problems at all and from all kinds of bad angles and long distance.

Thanks guys for the tip of using the TSOP32238. I did order some
TSOP32240 as well but they haven't arrived yet so I haven't been able to
test them but since the TSOP32238 seems to work fine I am happy. :D