he somehow missed the group box out, so i've sent it on.

however, from this he doesn't seem to understand android is only one of it's operating systems, and was a later addition, not it's sole reason for existing.

scsijon
-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [Toybox] Toybox Installer/setup routine?
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 20:07:26 -0400
From: dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com>
To: scsijon <scsi...@lamiaworks.com.au>

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 7:22 PM scsijon <scsi...@lamiaworks.com.au> wrote:

This may be a can of worms or off-topic but...

I was wondering if Toybox should/could have an inbuilt installer/setup
routine of some sort and how are others handling this retro-fit problem!

That sounds like a *huge* can of worms.

My question, given that Android is the principal target for Toybox, is
how Android users get/install it.  As it stands, it looks like you
need a rooted device to be *able* to install/use it, and successive
Android releases have locked it progressively down and good luck
*getting* root on your device. (One of my devices runs Marshmallow,
and I haven't found a rooting solution that works.  My other devices
run and KitKat Lollipop and I *can* root them.  (The last device I
bought of eBay I carefully selected a model with Lollipop instead of
Marshmallow so I *could*  root the thing.)

I'm conversant enough with Linux that I *could* replace Busybox with
Toybox - it's a matter of dropping the toybox binary into a system
directory in the $PATH and creating symlinks - but you need to be root
and know how to do that.  If you aren't and don't, you probably
shouldn't be trying to install/use toybox in the first place.

scsijon
______
Dennis