DaveH wrote:
> In my opinion, God is quintessentially the ultimate
> parent.  For him to do something contrary to what
> a parent would do....defies my perception of the
> Lord's love and mercy.

The problem here is that you are creating God in your own image, not
realizing your fallen state.  In theology, this is called anthropomorphism.

We need to consider God's revelation of himself and not be tempted to cast
God in our own image.  What person among us would destroy the whole earth
with a flood?  What parent among us would craft a law which commands parents
to stone their children who were rebellious and incorrigible?  The issue of
eternal judgment can only be answered by God and his revelation of himself,
not by our own imaginations of what we would like God to be.

The subject of eternal judgment is one of the most difficult subjects for me
to comprehend, but if God's revelation teaches us that he judges iniquity in
the harshest way, then we would do well to pay attention before the day of
judgment is upon us.