On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:14:23 -0600 "Caroline Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Hi Judy;
Consider these two translations side by side and see how KJV aims at the person and that was an error in translation
Psalm 7:11 KJV "God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day."
Psalm 7:11 NASB "God is a righteous judge. And a God who has indignation every day."

You just stepped into a middle of a conversation where I was making a case that God is usually angry with sin in the person but rarely with the person. Kevin used the above verse as part of a proof that to hate the sin and love the sinner is not biblical. I suppose you feel same and have no qualms about hating both sinner and sin.

jt: Kevin has a funny way of hating the sinner - in laying down his own comfort to go out on the street and share God's Word with the hope that he will repent... Neither do I hate ppl Caroline.  ATST I do hate sin, in myself as well as in others and believe we are to separate ourselves from it.

Judy: If he stoned her Caroline He would have had to execute judgment on her accusers also but that was not the time. He came the first time to show us another way.  When he comes again it will be with the sword to execute judgment against sin.

Caroline: Now why would stoning the women caught in adultery mean he would have to stone her accusers as well? They were not caught in sin and they were obedient to the Law. Isn't Jesus judge as well as saviour?

jt:  They were hypocrites - where was the man involved?  She wasn't committing adultery by herself and the law of Moses said both should be stoned.

Judy: God loves those who love Him - if we choose to abandon Him by clinging to our fallenness and sin, he will abandon us by our own choice.

Caroline: Were you always raised in a Christian home, Judy? I wasn't. So I know for sure that He loved me when I was His enemy and He pursued me as a Father and as a Lover. Being raised in a non Christian home was one of the best gifts possible. The fact that my earthly father is a good and loving man despite being an atheist and losing his father at the age of 9 is a true blessing and a direct intervention of God as I don't believe any human can love without God's help. I've been a part of Christianity and churches for 2 decades and sometimes when I see how some Christians treat their kids, I thank God I was not raised that way.

jt: The home I was raised in was nominally Christian and the church I was sent to more concerned with entertaining young people than focusing on the truth of God's Word which truth involves God's judgment as well as his love.  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom which fear is impossible when we are taught and live in partial truth only.

Judy: That's interesting since His Word says "I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I the Lord do all these things" (Isaiah 45:7) - I wonder if there is a new translation that can manipulate this into something else.

Caroline: This is also a mistake in translation in the KJV. The Lord does NOT create evil.

jt: He created Satan and the demons didn't He?  I know He didn't make them evil at the start or force evil upon them later, but He is still their Creator and He takes responsibility. He is not in denial.

The correct translation is "disaster" NIV or "calamity" NASB. That part of the verse says that God decides whether we live in good times or bad.

jt: The newer versions pervert the Word of God Caroline and they are in the process of expunging Satan/Lucifer from the scriptures entirely.

The first part must be read in light (no pun intended) of the verses just before it. Darkness is NOT evil. It is about secret places. v. 3 says (in the KJV no less) "I will give you the treasures of darkens and the hoards in secret places, that you may know that it is I, the LORD, the God of Israel, who call you by your name."  So Judy, have you received any treasures of darkness? Do you hold them close to your heart? Take them out and meditate on them? Give thanks to the Lord, who is good, for them?

jt: Actually this promise is given to Cyrus King of Persia - not to you or I and these treasures were probably in the treasury of Babylon who the Persians were to conquer.

I am curious about how you reconcile your interpretation of Isaiah 45 about the 'treasures of darkness" etc. with "God is the Father of Lights in whom there is no variableness or shadow of turning" (James 1:17).

Grace and Peace,
Judy