John S. wrote:
>> ... there was no time when the RIGHT CHURCH
>> EXISTED except in the Mind of God and via the
>> blood of Christ.   The First Church was steeped
>> in legalism.

DAVEH:
> Is this a commonly accepted theory of Protestantism?
> LDS folks believe such thinking is flawed

It is somewhat common in Protestant circles to think this way, but not all
Protestants think this way.  John's background is the Church of Christ,
which is a restorationist movement somewhat like Mormonism.  Many of the
Church of Christ sects have been labled as cults by other Protestants just
like Mormonism has.  One of the themes in the Church of Christ is to get
back to first century Christianity.  Apparently, John has rejected much of
the Church of Christ teachings, and one of them is apparently the theme that
there is some kind of perfect church that we need to restore.

In considering this question of whether or not it is possible to have a
perfect church, I consider the churches addressed by Christ in the book of
Revelation.  I notice that two of the churches were without rebuke.  That
tells me that there have been churches that were perfect.