I believe it was GKChesterton who used the 'wax nose' metaphor ('The interpretation of any text depends to a large extent on the kind of commitment we have to its content'). I believe that you Dave, along with the rest of us continue to exhibit the aptness of the figure of speech..

----- Original Message -----
Sent: April 05, 2005 02:18
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] TruthTalk] Eternal Judgment

Debbie Sawczak wrote:
Hi Dave, welcome back.
DAVEH:  Thanx Debbie.  Sin City is a tough place to spend a few days.   May I suggest that a lessor man (such as John, perhaps) may have succumbed while I was able to withstand the brutal forces trying to suck money out of my pocket....    ;-)
You are right about Jesus being the cornerstone in that passage. But in any case the cornerstone is part of the foundation and doesn't lay itself. Elsewhere Christ is called the foundation (1 Cor 3:11, the verse that was in my head) but not in the same sense, since Paul is laying it.
DAVEH:  I understand.  And I certainly agree.....Jesus is certainly the foundation of the gospel and the basis of our faith.  Without him....we are nothing....lost at best.

What I was trying to get across, rather ineptly perhaps, was that the relationship of Christ to the church is completely different from that of any other "church-founder" to the church s/he founded. I was also talking partly just about the connotation that the phrase "founding a church" has for me. It sounds to me like starting a new religion or belief system
DAVEH:  Do you suppose it appeared like such to Pharisees?
(whereas note that the prophets are included in the foundation in Ephesians), on one's own initiative and on the basis of a private revelation. That isn't what Jesus did. But anyway, I didn't mean to sidetrack you--continue your conversation with John!

Debbie