David Miller wrote:
Terry wrote:

... the Church for the last two thousand or
so years has been built on the originals.
One foundation for one building is the usual ratio.

I think the Roman Catholic Church is responsible for perpetuating the idea
of ONE CHURCH existing through the last two millenia.  When I read the New
Testament, it seems like each city had a church.  Whenever the New Testament
talks about a church, it seems to relate it to a city.  The church in
Jerusalem.  The church in Antioch.  The church in Corinth, etc.  Whenever
larger regions are talked about, the word church is in the plural.  The
churches of Galatia.  The churches of Judea. When we consider the book of
Revelation, we see Jesus not addressing one church, but seven churches.
Each city had one church represented by one candlestick.

Have you ever considered that from God's perspective, each community is
meant to have one whole church, and that in each community that church would
have apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers within it?
Perhaps the foundation for the church is not a single historical event two
thousand years ago, but a dynamic thing that happens again and again as
believers assemble together in the name of Christ.  Considering that new
believers are coming into Christ all the time, it would make sense to think
of the church as a dynamic organism in each community whose foundation is
made up of the apostles and prophets within that community.  Read Eph.
2:19-22 again with this thought in mind and see if it takes on a different
perspective.

Ephesians 2:19-22
(19) Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but
fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
(20) And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus
Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
(21) In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy
temple in the Lord:
(22) In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through
the Spirit.

There is probably a lot to be said for the way you see it, David, but from my perspective, there can only be one Cornerstone because there is only one Christ, and one bride of Christ, so I see the Church with a big C as one church, the Bride.  The gatherings that you describe can be called churches with a small c, and just as a hand is part of the body, they are part of the larger Church.  I see apostles as only those who have seen Jesus face to face.  Prophets are scattered throughout the Bible as God has had need of one.  Why they would be necessary in every gathering is beyond me. They were not in every synagogue.
Terry