DAVEH:   Thanx for the load Kevin, but you did seemingly overlook one aspect of my post.  So, do you agree with the author that Jesus is not the literal Son of God???

    And since you don't like the one in purpose suggestion, perhaps you can explain how we can be one with God as Jesus is one with God, as mentioned in Jn 17.

Kevin Deegan wrote:
DAVEH: oneness of God as it applies to man as found in Jn 17:21

I have inserted the LDS understanding of ONE "IN PURPOSE" into the passage.

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one "IN PURPOSE"; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one "IN PURPOSE" in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one "IN PURPOSE", even as we are one "IN PURPOSE": I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one "IN PURPOSE"; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.
This understanding does not stand when inserted into this passage. I am particularly interested in how being one in purpose makes one PERFECT?
"that they may be made perfect in one "IN PURPOSE""

MT 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
This verse tells us to BE (Present Tense) PERFECT not BECOME perfect as LDS theology would portray that we may become.

Noah was perfect Gen 6:9
Job was perfect Job 1:1

Quoting Psalm 32 Romans 4 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
David the murderer & adulterer wrote this! ALL His sins were covered, ALL his iniquities forgiven, God will not impute sin becuase the sin debt was paid by Jesus Christ!
Heb 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him

Heb 7;9 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Heb 10;14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.   TYJ!

Jesus has ABOLISHED the ENMITY between us & God!
Eph 2:14 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
Jesus BLOTTED OUT the ordinances that were against us!
Col 2 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took i t out of the way, nailing it to his cross

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DAVEH:   Whew!   That is a lot of stuff, Perry.  After reading through it though, I find much I'd dispute, starting with.......

G-3:  Jesus is clearly not the Son of God in a literal sense, i.e., He was not physically procreated by
God

........As you might suspect Perry, I do believe Jesus is clearly and literally, the Son of God.

    I also find it curious that the author does not discuss the plural meaning of Elohim, nor does he address some key passages such as Mt 5:48 nor does he discuss to my satisfaction the oneness of God as it applies to man as found in Jn 17:21.  Likewise, he doesn't address the nature of the Godhead very well.  In short, there is a lot I find lacking in this rather lengthy summary.

Charles Perry Locke wrote:
The mormon jesus is NOT the Jesus of the Bible, the one we Christians worship. Check out this link for details:

http://www.equip.org/free/DT160.pdf

Perry

--
Dave Hansen