----- Original Message -----
Sent: February 03, 2006 15:58
Subject: RE: [TruthTalk] 'i DON'T UNDERSTAND' -David Miller'

Wow. This was great. Amen and amen.

From: Lance Muir [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 8:38 AM
To: Debbie Sawczak
Subject: Fw: [TruthTalk] 'i DON'T UNDERSTAND' -David Miller'

----- Original Message -----
Sent: February 03, 2006 08:36

In physics, duality is present when two different models actually turn out to be equivalent.

In alchemy, duality is a dynamic principle of opposing or complementary elements or spirits.

The term dualism can refer to a variety of doctrines, mainly in theology and philosophy, each involving the purported existence of two substances ( often opposites) of some kind. These opposites can be, among other things, opposing forces, or opposing ontological or epistemic categories.

Bill has been the one who has said the  most concerning dualism , to my memory.  And I have come to accept much of what has been written.   In counseling,  the habit of sin  (activity) is chemically enhanced in the brain.   Your long term preformance becomes blueprinted, if you will , into your psyche.  That is why an action or activity can become addictive  --  actually  it is why patteren activity WILL become "addictive."

I was quite the dualist before TT and Bill Taylor.  I am not one now.   the "old man" of the bible is, to me,  those thing I do or think that are harmful to me (the bible being an excellent guide in this regard, if not the final word.)  But my life is not defined by these falings.  The same principles of the pysche work in regard to repeated "good" activity.   What we call "addiction" (IMO) is the attachment of whatever repeated activity to my personhood via this chemical process.  It is the oneness of my person that speaks (for me) against the idea of dualism.

The old man is alway there  -  he is that character we do not wish to be  -  for whatever reason.   Paul tells us in Romans 6:11   to CONSIDER yourselves to be dead to sin but alive in Christ.   If the old man were actually dead --  as in dead and gone  --  I would not have to consider anything.  I would be alive in Christ with no choices to make.   Although I look forward to the freedom of not having to make choices anymore,  such is not the case now.   Eph 4 :20-24 reminds us of the continuing presence of the old man along with the new.   I am what I have done coupled with what God sees me to be in Christ.  The result is my person.  And not every influence in my life is either "good" or "bad" in a moral sense.  In addition to these, there is my level of intelligence,  the intensity of my passions,  my ability to overcome fear  ----------  and so I say "what dualism?!!"&n bsp;  I am not just good and bad.  When it comes to matters of personhood, I am not a dualist. I am not the combination of only two natures. The probelm of sin is huge and complicated.    And so it is that God contributes much more than His Spirit.   Heroin addicts have a terrible history of recovery  (less than 3%)  Is the addict going to hell because his pysche is locked into that which cannot be overcome (at least for the time being)?    Well, when we cannot access the Spirit's influence, grace abounds and the blessing of the cross reveals itself  -- saving man when he does not deserve to be saved.  In Hebrews we are told that judgment day will include a consideration of the "intentions of the heart."   And what is the greater struggle?  To be clean and sober, free from addiction and a child of God or to be addicted beyond control, facing the Devil's work as he tries to persuade you to give up  --  using your failur es to convince you that you are lost and without hope?  Which is the greater battle?  And who deserve the "credit" for trying?  He who is victor or he who will not let go of the hope within in spite of his failings  --  believing that God is bigger than all that tries to bring him down.  Both are noteworthy, of course, but the man of problems is not to be denied.  Chrsit came not for the righteous but to seek and save the lost.

It is before his master that he stands or falls and he will      be      made     to    stand  !!!

jd