These are the main changes included in the draft charter v6 (ordered by
paragraphs):

1. I have moved the sentence about the overhead to the end of the paragraph,
in order to say that “For both the delay-sensitive and delay-insensitive
applications, their small data payloads incur significant overhead”

2. I have put the scenarios in bullets, and I have improved some of the
descriptions a bit.

6. I have changed the name of the document: instead of “document A” it is
now “TCMTF – reference model”.

7. Now we are talking about another document “TCMTF – negotiation protocol”.
In addition, I have put the two signaling functionalities in bullets.

7. As discussed in the list, we would talk about “setup/release a TCMTF
session”.

8. I have changed the name of the document, from “document B” to “TCMTF
recommendations”

8. According to Gorry’s suggestion, I have added this sentence: “The
eventual impact of multiplexing on protocol dynamics (e.g. when multiplexing
TCP flows) will also have to be addressed.”

Jose

defined
> a method for grouping packets when a number of flows share a path,
> considering three different layers: header compression by means of ECRTP;
> multiplexing by means of PPPMux; tunneling by means of L2TPv3.
>
> 4. However, in the last years, emerging real-time services which do not
use
> UDP/RTP have become popular: some of them use UDP or even TCP. In
> addition, new header compression methods have been defined (ROHC). So
> there is a need of widening the scope of RFC4170 in order to consider not
> only UDP/RTP but also other protocols. The same structure of three layers
> will be considered:
>
> - Header compression: Taking into account that real-time applications use
> different headers (RTP/UDP, UDP or even TCP), different protocols can be
> used: no compression, ECRTP, IPHC and ROHC.
> - Multiplexing: If a number of flows share a path between an origin and a
> destination, a multiplexer can build a bigger packet in which a number of
> payloads share a common header. A demultiplexer is then necessary at the
> end of the common path, so as to rebuild the packets as they were
originally
> sent. PPPMux will be the main option. Other ones are not discarded.
> - Tunneling will be used to send the multiplexed packets end-to-end. The
> options in this layer are L2TP, GRE and MPLS.
>
> 5. So the first objective of this group is to specify the protocol stack
for
> tunneling, compressing and multiplexing traffic flows (TCMTF). Since
> standard protocols are being used at each layer, the signaling methods of
> those protocols will be used. Interactions with the Working Groups and
Areas
> in which these protocols are developed can be expected. However, the
> development of new compressing, multiplexing or tunneling protocols is not
> an objective of this Working Group. In addition, since the current RFC
4170
> would be considered as one of the options, this RFC could be obsoleted.
>
> 6. As a first objective, a document (TCMTF - reference model) will define
the
> different options which can be used at each layer. Specific problems
caused
> by the interaction between layers will have to be issued, and suitable
> extensions may have to be added to the involved protocols.
>
> 7. If a pair multiplexer/de-multiplexer want to establish a TCMTF session,
> they have first to use a mechanism to negotiate which concrete option
would
> they use in each layer: header compression, multiplexing and tunneling.
This
> will depend on the protocols that each extreme implements at each level,
> and in the scenario. So another document (TCMTF - negotiation protocol)
will