On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Chris Neuman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Nothing like anecdotal evidence to draw broad conclusions about the merits
> of technology!

And my brother is chief engineer of a station that made the digital
switch last week. People have called into his station for the last
several days uttering many discouraging words.

And over-the-air digital is more likely to scramble/break up during
strong weather conditions, and its signal travels less far... hope
nobody needs to know what's going on during a hurricane or tornado.

And San Diego won't be able to lease/sell many of the frequencies (or
use them for emergency purposes) used by analog because stations
transmitting from Mexico aren't making the switch.

February is going to be fun.

Basically, my argument about newer technology is the same as the
argument made about newer cars. Things used to be built to last, but
now they seem to be built with expiration dates printed on them (my
first iPod, which I loved, lasted five years, which I understand is a
small miracle, whereas I still own the Sony Walkman I had in high
school... nearly 20 years old). CBS Radio just had a report last night
about a mechanic who has found it easier to convert cars from the '50s
and '60s into hybrids and even full-electric vehicles, and can do so
for a few hundred bucks (he's done cars for several celebrities).

Nobody forced people to get internet-capable computers in the '90s.
Instead, they made the internet desirable and practical. The digital
TV switch is neither desirable nor practical. It is wasted legislation
resulting in wasted tax dollars being spent on its enforcement and
implementation. All this is being done so the government can sell off
the public airwaves to the highest bidder, only now we hear the asking
price is virtually non-existent.

I am not a luddite. I like new technology, but I like it more when it
isn't being thrust upon me. I like it more when it is better than the
technology it replaces. I like it more when it doesn't have to be
replaced every six months.