I still do my timeshifting on a five-year-old Panasonic VCR which is
showing no signs of wear (never even needed to clean the heads).  But,
I also still have an old Sony DirecTV receiver which has the
capability of operating said VCR via an IR link, and I have tons of
still-serviceable VHS tapes from when I used to record movies for my
mother last decade.  (When she went into managed care, all the tapes
that had been piling up, unwatched, at her house came back to me for
reuse.)

Lest anyone think I am heading toward Luddite status, I do have a DVD
recorder.  Just not a DVR.