Trying to distance myself from the apparently emotionally charged
Farrah thread, I'll post this one over here. If Steven Weber was a
chick, I would so do him:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-weber/pop-goes-the-king_b_221730.html

A few excerpts:

The "King of Pop" is dead. But while the man may have mattered, his
self-anointed royalty is just another example of the superficiality of
our pop culture and its rotating cadre of paper-thin ambassadors.
And then over time we watch silently as the smiling strangers take the
kid by the hand and lead him down a path a certain dysfunction, where
money and fame are substituted for affection and affirmation. A life
of candy ensures decay.
And he is not alone. So bombarded are we with comparable examples of
what is supposed to constitute Success, where the only worthwhile life
is lived in public, new generations are raised thinking "This is
life's imperative. You only live if you're seen". Like the light
inside the refrigerator.
But by all means dismiss and underpay the teacher, the cop, the people
who handle our endless refuse and when they die, give them no more
than a backward glance, an absent "oh, yeah---they kicked. Did you see
the new iPhone?". It is such misappropriation of concern
even Farrah , riddled with cancer, had the business acumen to maximize
her commercial appeal to the end, filming her slow, tortuous demise
when she might just have easily fought her fight in dignified privacy.
Michael Jackson was another soul in torment who had his talent
exploited, his singularity mass produced, his place in the natural
order disrupted by greedy, insatiable masters. The king, it seems, was
really just a pawn.